ITALY, TUSCANY, LUCCA, LUCCA
Lucca Historic Villa with Pool and Annexes
Lucca Historic Villa. In the hills to the west of Lucca, in one of the most beautiful areas of the province, this historic villa has wonderful views over the plain of Lucca. It is about a quarter of an hour from the centre of Lucca and half an hour from Viareggio on the coast.
The property comprises a 10 bedroom, 8 bathroom, villa of approx 1300 sqm, outbuildings of about 550 sqm (220 sqm residential area and 330 rural use). In addition, the property is surrounded by a hectare of land with a swimming pool.
With ancient origins, the property developed around a Longobard tower with a radical restructuring in the 15th and 16th centuries. This beautiful villa was built by the Menocchi family then linked with another noble family of Lucca, Mansi. In the 1800’s the villa was used as a convent by Prior Barsocchini.
Regarded as a typical “Lucchese” villa, the Renaissance architecture of the building is clearly visible in the size and decoration of the exterior windows and the double central staircase which leads to the “noble floor”, perfectly proportioned and symmetrical on the facade. Inside there are beautiful stone fireplaces and original wood beams. Behind the villa there is an harmonious loggia, with the remains of the original frescoes.
The current owners have meticulously preserved and restored the villa. The renovation includes magnificent fireplaces, new structures which have enriched the building and the beautiful roof truss in the hall on the second floor. At the same time there has been a functional transformation of the cellars on the ground floor and the attics on the second floor, service areas of the villa. These have become perfectly habitable for every purpose, adding rooms, numerous bedrooms, bathrooms and kitchens. The works carried out have used traditional materials like wood and brick, old plaster with natural pigments of Majolica has been used for floors and bathrooms of the second floor. The heating system is under floor heating and conserves energy, essential in a structure of 1300 sqm. The hot water is supplied by solar panels with high efficiency.
The villa is on 3 floors:
Ground floor: Large entrance hall of about 70 sqm, with a vaulted brick ceiling, another room with a huge central fireplace in a rustic style. Games Room. Large kitchen with fireplace and wood oven with adjoining pantry and access to the garden. 3 rooms with bathroom, one of which was obtained in the cellar while another is the old store for the sale of oil.
First floor: This floor is accessed by a staircase that goes up into the XI century tower and a grand hall of 150 sqm with a majestic stone fireplace, rustic style, in the centre. From the living room, the doors open onto a superb ancient loggia, partly frescoed, where 5 beautiful arches overlooking the garden and surrounding hills – an ideal place for relaxing the body and mind.
From this loggia you enter the garden via an imposing typical sixteenth century external double staircase. On this floor there is another living room, a study with bathroom. Another area is located in the tower, with its original fireplace and well preserved wooden floors.
Second floor: A great hall with beautiful monumental fireplace. The particular type of ceiling lighting, in modern style, highlights the large wooden beams and rafters with ancient truss providing a spectacular effect. On this floor there are also six double bedrooms, one with fireplace, with bathrooms, three of which have a Jacuzzi bath and shower. All the rooms have spectacular views over the Lucca plain and the surrounding countryside.
130 sqm on 2 floors, renovated:
Ground floor: open space divided into a living area with kitchen with wood stove and fireplace.
First floor: one bedroom with bathroom.
Barns to be restored.
Ex chapel of 90 sqm restored into a house comprising hall, dining room, kitchen and a bedroom with bathroom.
Stables of 400 sqm with permission to renovate to create additional living space. It could become another building adjoining the villa with six bedrooms with bathrooms.
Gardens and grounds:
The villa is surrounded by about 10,000 square meters of land, of which approximately 4000 sqm are parkland and the rest are planted with olive trees (about one hundred trees in production) behind the villa.
In the park an ancient Renaissance bath, originally used as an ornamental pond, has been beautifully restored and is now being used as a pool of about 9m x 3m.
In the garden there is a rainwater tank of about 500 litres which serves for the irrigation of the garden.
Utilities: Mains services are connected.
Distances: Lucca 8km, Pisa 28km, sea 20km, Florence 78km
View all our properties on our website casatuscany.com.